IIM Shillong Summer Placement Report Comparison
The 2020-22 batch of IIM Shillong witnessed 70 recruiters participating offering 250 offers to 250 participants resulting in 100% placements with a 5% increase in average stipend. Prominent recruiters like AB InBev, Amazon, Bain & Co, Cognizant, Deloitte USI, D.E. Shaw, Goldman Sachs, Google, HSBC Bank, IBM, ICICI Bank, ITC, JSW, Nomura Investment Bank, PepsiCo, Pidilite Industries, etc and first-time recruiters like Aditya Birla Capital, Capital Foods, Cipla, Cummins, EY, Godrej, IDFC First Bank, JioSaavn, Lubrizol, Mahindra GMC, Microsoft, Piramal Group, Shell, Udaan, Xiaomi participated.
Number of Students – 250
- The gender diversity split is 75% males and 25% females.
- The educational background split is 53% engineering, 20% commerce & finance, 12% science, 8% arts and 7% management.
- The work experience split is 24% having more than 2 years of experience, 20% having 1-2 years experience, 18% have 0-1 year experience and 38% freshers.
- 34% of students are from IT and Analytics followed by 18% from Operations. Usually, engineers go into such domains which is relevant from the fact that 53% of students are engineers.
- There is a 12% increase in students from Operations roles, i.e., from 6% last year to 18% this year showing the growth of the operations sector with many e-commerce start-ups coming up.
- There is a 12% decrease in students from Consulting & Strategy roles, i.e., from 19% last year to 7% this year.
Domain Wise Statistics
- Sales & Marketing occupied first place with 40% offers.
- There is a significant decrease of 7% from last year in the number of offers in the consulting and strategy sector.
- There is an increase in offers in General Management, HR and Operations roles which shows the preference of students in such roles.
- GamaSec, Outlook Group and Pidilite Industries made the highest number of offers in the S&M domain.
- Bain & Company made the highest number of offers in the consulting domain.
- Mangal Credit Fincorp made the highest number of offers in the Finance domain.
- The General Management domain witnessed an enormous 71% increase in the number of offers made.
- HR & operations domain witnessed an astounding 90% increase in the number of offers made.
- IT & Analytics domain witnessed diverse roles such as Data Analyst, IT Consultant and Product Manager being offered to students.
- BFSI continues to be the top sector with 26% roles.
- Technology, Media and Telecommunication saw the highest growth in offers from 7% last year to 22%.
- Manufacturing & Retail, Consulting. IT & Analytics, E-commerce saw a decrease in the number of offers compared to last year.
|Pointer||2020-22 Batch||2019-21 Batch||% Change|
|Number of participants||250||195||28.20%|
|Number of recruiters||70||68||2.9%|
|Number of offers||250||208||20.19%|
|Highest Stipend||3.0 L||3.0 L||–|
|Average Stipend||1.38 L||1.31 L||5.34%|
|Top 10 %ile average stipend||2.68 L||2.60 L||3.08%|
|Top 20 %ile average stipend||2.38 L||2.36 L||0.84 %|
|Top 50 %ile average stipend||2.11 L||1.67 L||26.34%|
- The number of offers by individual companies increased this year.
- There is a 26.34% increase in the average stipend of the top 50 percentile with a small increase in the average stipend of the Top 10 and Top 20 percentile.
|Domain||Highest Stipend (2020-22 Batch)||Highest Stipend
|Sales & Marketing||3.0 L||3.0 L||Amazon, Godrej, Google, ITC, Pepsico, Pidilite|
|Consulting & Strategy||2.0 L||3.0 L||Bain & Company, Cipla, Cognizant, Deloitte, EY, Optum|
|Finance||2.4 L||2.4 L||D E Shaw & Co, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, ICICI Bank, Nomura, Yes Bank|
|General Management||2.6 L||3.0 L||ABInBev, Aditya Birla Capital, Bharat Petroleum, JSW, Xiomi|
|HR & Operations||2.0 L||2.4 L||Capital Foods, Cipla, Mahindra Logistics, Shree Cement, Titan|
|IT & Analytics||2.5 L||2.0 L||Amagi, Datawise, Droom, IBM, JioSavaan, Microsoft|
The placement season witnessed a 20% increase in the number of offers. However, there is a 28% increase in the number of participants. Many prominent recruiters along with new recruiters participated in the 2020 placement round offering roles in different domains. Sales & Marketing emerged to be the top domain along with BFSI as the top sector.
To structure your CAT online preparation in an efficient way consider joining iQuanta which is a top online cat coaching institute and being a part of the iQuanta CAT 21 Course.
You can also check out and be a part of their Facebook group for peer learning, doubt solving and free material.