NMAT Preparation Strategy
NMAT is the NMIMS (Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies) Management Aptitude Test. NMAT is a computer-based exam by GMAC, not a very difficult one with correct NMAT Preparation strategy and time management. NMAT is considered very moderate exam comparatively to other MBA entrance exams, hence it can be a beneficial advantage for you while preparing for MBA. Every year more than 55,000 – 75,000 applicants appear for NMAT. Let us discuss in detail the NMAT strategy.
Key Highlights About NMAT Preparation Strategy
- NMAT is a computer-adaptive test.
- The duration of the NMAT exam is 120 minutes (2 hours).
- The NMAT entrance exam difficulty level is easy to moderate.
- NMAT Question paper contains total of 108 questions which are to be solved within 2 hours.
- The most noting part is, there is no negative marking in the exam, applicants can attempt the entire question paper.
- You can select the order/sequence of the sections in NMAT.
- You are allowed maximum three attempts in NMAT.
- There has to be a gap of 15 days between two successive attempts.
- To get through the entrance exam you need to clear the overall and sectional cut-offs.
- Set a target score of 210-220 or above for NMIMS Mumbai.
NMAT Exam Pattern
To ace the NMAT exam, you need to first of all be well acquainted with the NMAT exam pattern.
How to Structure Your Overall NMAT Preparation Strategy
- The key to structure your NMAT Preparation is to know the exam pattern. Therefore it becomes crucial for aspirants to understand the exam pattern and go through the detailed NMAT syllabus to take on board with the entrance exam.
- Take your sticky notes and note down the NMAT syllabus, stick it on your study desk or wherever it is often in your sight so that you can make sure you are covering everything mentioned in the syllabus and nothing is left out.
- Make sure while preparing your NMAT strategy to segregate your syllabus according to your stronger to weaker areas, so that you can focus more on the weaker portion to improve your score. Do create different portions section-wise.
- Join an online course for a better conceptual understanding of the outlined course by GMAC and self-study is the key to the success, so study as much as you can by followig your NMAT preparation strategy.
- Perform a SWOT analysis to increase self-awareness of your concepts, syllabus, internal and external factors to figure out the viability of your learning and improvement criteria to focus on.
- Handpick the right and relevant study material. To learn is important but to learn from the right source is critical for your NMAT preparation to clear the exam.
- Do not forget to refer, to NMAT by GMAC official guide to navigate your preparation.
- Pick up some tricks of the trade to solve lengthy problems, so that it can leave you with exrtra minutes to revise later. Upskill your mind to do mental calculations to solve a question or to find an answer.
- “Practice makes a man perfect”, hence practice as many previous year question papers as possible and take note of repetitive questions. Merely building a NMAT strategy is not enough. Solving those question papers will give you an idea about the actual exam.
- Do make a sheet of all the important formulas as it will come in handy while a last-minute quick revision or glance before the exam.
- “Time is a virtue”, its very important for you to learn, how to manage your time during exam. As there would be lot to focus on while exam. It is important to divide the focus wisely while solving the question as unequal time can lead to time shortage during exam.
- Mock is the key to getting a good percentile, solve and analyse mocks to assess your ongoing performance. So, devote as much as possible to mock tests.
- Do not forget to take a break, coach your brain to be relaxed and build up endurance to sit for the 2-hour examination and to focus.
Section-wise NMAT Topic Distribution
It is very important for an aspirant while building their NMAT preparation strategy to have a stronghold on all three sections of the syllabus: Language skills, Quantitative skills, and Logical Reasoning skills, and for that, the aspirant needs to give their equal focus on each section as they can be more confident while giving the exam.
1. Language Skills for NMAT Preparation
There are 36 questions in total to be solved in 28 minutes of time span.
2. Quantitative Skills for NMAT Preparation
There are 36 questions in total to be solved in 52 minutes of time span.
3. Logical Reasoning for NMAT Preparation
There are 36 questions in total to be solved in 40 minutes of time span.
Crack NMAT With iQuanta!
iQuanta provides full NMAT+SNAP course with the following features:
- Quants + DI – 150 Videos
- Logical Reasoning specific for SNAP & NMAT – 75 Videos
- Verbal – 75 Videos
- Live streaming classes – 3 Days a week – Total 40 Live classes
- Live Practice Session – 40 Sessions
- 10 SNAP Full length Mock Tests
- 10 NMAT Full length Mock Tests
- Topic Wise Mock Tests- 1000 Questions of Practice
Section-Wise NMAT Strategy
It becomes crucial to perepare an NMAT strategy accordingly as it will further help you to identify your strong concepts and your weak concepts, on this basis, you can speed up your learning in the desired direction to strengthen your weaker concepts.
The most important aspect of your NMAT strategy for Language skills is to Read, Read & Read – Build a daily habit of reading an article based on psychology, technology, sociology and daily newspapers. This will help you in increasing the reading speed. Summarize all what you read , first by writing it down. Once, you feel like you’ve started getting proficient in this, start summarizing in your mind.
This will help in retention so that you don’t have to revisit the passage when dealing with questions in the NMAT exam. Vocabulary carries the maximum weightage in the Language section of the NMAT exam. So, it is important to make a note of all the new and common words you come across. Prepare a vocabulary sheet. Focus on improving your grammar. Take mocks and sectionals, note down your strong and weak points and work on them.
To start your NMAT preparation for Quantitative Skills, make sure you start from the very basics. Begin with focusing on calculation. Practice speed maths and vedic maths. You can refer to the following videos for some fast calculation tips: https://youtu.be/Iichz6JBZIw https://youtu.be/ykEeyn0lpVo Start preparing from the elementary level Mathematics and then work your way up to the tougher questions.
Here at iQuanta, both Live and Conceptual classes are conducted so that the students can learn the concept behind a topic and then apply them to the questions. Try to not rely on the calculator for basic calculations. Concentrate more on concepts such as Geometry, Profit & loss, Speed & Distance, Successive percentage, Ratio & Proportion. Make sure to, earmark 2-3 mocks every week to understand patterns and for thorough revision.
To prepare an efficient NMAT strategy for Logical Reasoning, pictorial representation should be the key focus. Practice questions which improvise your prediction analysis.At iQuanta, we provide Make sure to read and understand questions carefully. Note down all the data given to you separately so that you don’t have to go through the entire set again and again. There is no syllabus for the LR section and the paper cannot be predicted.
So make sure that you practice as many questions as possible to gain familiarity with all types of sets. In iQuanta’s NMAT Course, we provide 1000 topic based and test practice questions for all the sections. Focus first on your accuracy and not on time. You’ll start solving questions faster with more and more practice. Once you start getting your answers mostly correct, start using a stopwatch.
Focus on words like ‘all’, ‘some’, ‘none’, while reading facts during the exam. Try to eliminate assumptions and select the one option you are confident about. Learn to select the right LR sets in the NMAT exam. While going through the questions, sort the sets as easy or tough and solve accordingly.
Things to Keep in Mind One Day Prior to the NMAT Exam
- Make sure you revise all the concepts before the exam so that all the sections are covered and are clear.
- It is essential to take all the important documents to enter the examination centre.
- Before entering the examination centre make sure you don’t have any personal belongings with you.
- Attempt sections in order while attempting the NMAT exam.